One of the earliest businesses in Haubstadt was Singer’s Saloon. Owned and operated by Mr. Joseph M. Singer, the building was once located where the police and fire departments now stand on South Main Street. By 1900, Singer’s Saloon had been converted into the Singer Hotel. Around this time, the neighboring businesses included Dr. William Ballard’s office and the Anslinger Barber Shop.
The top photo shows a group of local Haubstadt residents posing in 1880 in front of Singer’s Saloon. In the bottom photo, the wedding guests of Mr. & Mrs. Joe Kuhn pose in front of the Singer Hotel around 1900.