Pictured below is the Lintz Brothers Foundry of Fort Branch, Indiana in 1906. “In 1899, Henry and George Lintz of Vanderburgh County came to Fort Branch and established a business at a point where Foster Street crossed the railroad.” (400 S McCreary St)
The brothers started out as a repair business for farm machinery that later developed into a structural steel casting and fabrication business. “Many of the early ‘iron bridges’ in Gibson and adjoining counties were made at H. Lintz & Co.”
In 1948, the business was sold to Bury & Clemens, and was later sold to Martin Engineering Company. Around the 1970s, it was the location of W. R. Grace & Company, also known as Grace’s Fertilizer, which was the last business open in this location. Currently, this property is privately owned, but the building still stands.
[Photo and information from “The Fort On a Branch” by John V. DeLong, Jr., 1974.]