Fort Branch & Haubstadt Public Library

Hours & Locations

    • Fort Branch Public Library

      107 E Locust St.
      Fort Branch, IN 47648

      Get Directions »

      Phone: 812-753-4212

    • Business Hours

      Mon: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Tues: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Wed: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Thurs: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Fri: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
      Sat: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
      Sunday: Closed

      Special Hours »

    • Haubstadt Public Library

      101 W. Gibson St.
      Haubstadt, IN 47639

      Get Directions »

      Phone: 812-768-6005

    • Business Hours

      Mon: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Tues: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Wed: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Thurs: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Fri: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
      Sat: Closed
      Sunday: Closed

      Special Hours »

Historical Snapshot- Henry Haub

Aug 14, 2023 | Historical Snapshots

The town of Haubstadt was named after Henry Haub, a German settler. In 1849, Haub purchased lots in what was then called Warrenton, on which he built a stagecoach shop, now the location of the Log Inn. After 1852, he opened a general store, which stood where the Will building is currently located on the corner of Main and Gibson Streets in Haubstadt.

The name “Haubstadt” is German for “Haub City”. In 1855, the “Plat for the Town of Haubstadt” was recorded at Gibson County Courthouse, consisting of 22 acres platted into 151 lots. James H. Oliver, who interacted with Haub, purchased this land from Henry Sollman in October 1855 for $565, officially founding the town.

[Information summarized from the 2002, two-volume book “A History of the Haubstadt Area” compiled by the Haubstadt Historical Society. Photo courtesy of Haubstadt Town Hall; “Heirloom Portrait of Henry Haub”, dated 1870.]