Fort Branch & Haubstadt Public Library

Hours & Locations

    • Fort Branch Public Library

      107 E Locust St.
      Fort Branch, IN 47648

      Get Directions »

      Phone: 812-753-4212

    • Business Hours

      Mon: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Tues: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Wed: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Thurs: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Fri: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
      Sat: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
      Sunday: Closed

      Special Hours »

    • Haubstadt Public Library

      101 W. Gibson St.
      Haubstadt, IN 47639

      Get Directions »

      Phone: 812-768-6005

    • Business Hours

      Mon: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Tues: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Wed: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Thurs: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Fri: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
      Sat: Closed
      Sunday: Closed

      Special Hours »

Historical Snapshot- Haubstadt State Bank

Apr 30, 2024 | Historical Snapshots

The Haubstadt State Bank was organized in 1902 by the gentlemen pictured below (left to right): Martin Schaefer, Fred Luhring, Dan Luhring, Alois Ziliak, Fred Heldt, Theodore Stunkel, Geo. D. Seitz, Albert Lynn, W. W. Sipp, and Dr. V. H. Marchand. The red brick bank building was constructed in 1904, on the east side of Main Street.

In the early years, bookkeeping was mostly done by hand, but a posting machine was later added for customer accounts. In 1954, the bank building was extensively remodeled. In 1973, the bank was remodeled again, and an additional 1200 square feet was added to include a drive/walk-up window. By 1980, the town of Haubstadt took over the building and converted it into the present Haubstadt Town Hall.

 

Photo and information from “The Haubstadt Indiana Centennial Historical Book,” 1955. Additional information from “A History of the Haubstadt Area” by the Haubstadt Area Historical Committee, 2002.