Fort Branch & Haubstadt Public Library

Hours & Locations

    • Fort Branch Public Library

      107 E Locust St.
      Fort Branch, IN 47648

      Get Directions »

      Phone: 812-753-4212

    • Business Hours

      Mon: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Tues: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Wed: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Thurs: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Fri: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
      Sat: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
      Sunday: Closed

      Special Hours »

    • Haubstadt Public Library

      101 W. Gibson St.
      Haubstadt, IN 47639

      Get Directions »

      Phone: 812-768-6005

    • Business Hours

      Mon: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Tues: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Wed: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Thurs: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Fri: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
      Sat: Closed
      Sunday: Closed

      Special Hours »

Historical Snapshot- First Ft. Branch Fire Department

Mar 6, 2024 | Historical Snapshots

Pictured below is the first Fire Department of Fort Branch, IN on a practice run in 1906. “The first mechanized fire equipment was purchased in 1925. The bid for a Dodge-Graham fire truck was let by the Fort Branch Town board on November 4,1925, and a bid to equip the truck was let on December 10, 1925.” (DeLong)

Early fire engines were more or less mobile water pumps meant to aid the “bucket brigades” as far back as the 1700s. (Patrascu)

Below, you can see the men pulling the water pump, followed by two men with a ladder and buckets. Before mechanized fire equipment and trucks, this setup would take a very long time to arrive at the scene of any fire. The men would grow tired from hauling the pump, and some fires would die out before they got there.

Photo and information from “The Fort On a Branch” by John V. DeLong, Jr., 1974. Additional information from a 2009 article, “Fire Truck History” by Daniel Patrascu.