The photograph below captures the Restaurant and Confectionery owned by Walter C. Polk of Fort Branch. Pictured are Bill Stone, Clarence Hamilton, Wal Davenport, John Symonds, Bob Polk, Frank Davis, and Bert Shull. This photo was taken before 1900, and the location was around 106 Vine Street in Fort Branch.
Around the 1920s, especially in the Western states, the term “confectaurant” was often used for places such as this that served both sweets and meals. These types of eateries were often favored by women.