Fort Branch & Haubstadt Public Library

Hours & Locations

    • Fort Branch Public Library

      107 E Locust St.
      Fort Branch, IN 47648

      Get Directions »

      Phone: 812-753-4212

    • Business Hours

      Mon: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Tues: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Wed: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Thurs: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Fri: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
      Sat: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
      Sunday: Closed

      Special Hours »

    • Haubstadt Public Library

      101 W. Gibson St.
      Haubstadt, IN 47639

      Get Directions »

      Phone: 812-768-6005

    • Business Hours

      Mon: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Tues: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Wed: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Thurs: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
      Fri: 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm
      Sat: Closed
      Sunday: Closed

      Special Hours »

Historical Snapshots

Historical Snapshot- 1918 Flying Exhibition

Historical Snapshot- 1918 Flying Exhibition

On Friday, September 13, 1918, a large “patriotic celebration” took place in Strain’s Grove near Cemetery Road in Fort Branch, Indiana. According to the flyer, Lieutenant Graydon Taylor treated the crowd to “thrilling exhibition flights in a big war plane” during his...

Historical Snapshot- Singers Saloon & Hotel

Historical Snapshot- Singers Saloon & Hotel

One of the earliest businesses in Haubstadt was Singer’s Saloon. Owned and operated by Mr. Joseph M. Singer, the building was once located where the police and fire departments now stand on South Main Street. By 1900, Singer’s Saloon had been converted into the Singer...

Historical Snapshot- 1916 Train Wreck

Historical Snapshot- 1916 Train Wreck

On Wednesday, February 23, 1916, local Homer T. Genung witnessed a train wreck just south of the Locust Street crossing in Fort Branch, Indiana. Genung was standing in front of Tom McCarty’s hardware store when the incident occurred. The wreck was caused by an open...

Historical Snapshot- Lintz Brothers Foundry

Historical Snapshot- Lintz Brothers Foundry

Pictured below is the Lintz Brothers Foundry of Fort Branch, Indiana in 1906. “In 1899, Henry and George Lintz of Vanderburgh County came to Fort Branch and established a business at a point where Foster Street crossed the railroad.” (400 S McCreary St) The brothers...

Historical Snapshot- John Speer Mill

Historical Snapshot- John Speer Mill

Both photographs below were taken of the same building, but from different angles and different years. John Speer owned and operated his flour mill in the late 1800s, and the Fort Branch Milling Company bought the mill in the early 1900s. This site was located around...

Historical Snapshot- Henry Haub

Historical Snapshot- Henry Haub

The town of Haubstadt was named after Henry Haub, a German settler. In 1849, Haub purchased lots in what was then called Warrenton, on which he built a stagecoach shop, now the location of the Log Inn. After 1852, he opened a general store, which stood where the Will...

Historical Snapshot- One Legged Ben Wallace

Historical Snapshot- One Legged Ben Wallace

On the back of this photograph (pictured below) is a handwritten description by Homer T. Genung, “One legged Ben Wallace standing in front of Runcie Drug in Ft. Branch.” Charles B. Runcie owned a drugstore in Fort Branch in the early 1900s. He was also a member of the...

Historical Snapshot – Hemenway Senate Rally

Historical Snapshot – Hemenway Senate Rally

Pictured below is a U.S. Senate Candidate Rally in Fort Branch, Indiana, circa 1894. This rally in particular is believed to be for Indiana Republican Representative James Alexander Hemenway, who was elected into the Senate for the 54th Congress (1895-1897). In the...